Blue Wonder Bridge
gas street lamp
The self winding wristwatch for men was developed 1959 in Glashuette as the first model world-wide in flat design, with shockproofed and double-sided winding mechanism. A whole set of model variants in the traditionally high quality of Glashuette clocks followed this novelty.
The Auto-Union resulted 1931 from the combination of the four important German automobile brands AUDI, DKW, HORCH and WANDERER. The Autounion became that way one of the greatest automobile company of Germany. The headquarters of the company was in Chemnitz.
The bra was invented by Christine Hardt from
On 5 September 1899 she announced at the imperial patent office a "bodice for women as chest carrier". In the patent specification No. 110888 is written down that "the bodice can be separated from its adjustable carrier for washing." The adjustable carriers, by which the bodice could be separated, were however still completely normal man suspenders. Even if the good piece did not look like a bikini - the beginning was made.
beer mat in its current form comes
also from Saxony.
The inhabitant of Dresden, Robert Sputh, got in 1892 the patent No.68499 for his procedure for the production of beer mats. He poured a paper pulp in forms and let these dry over night. The beer mats had a diameter of 107 mm and a thickness of 5 mm. The absorbent and hygenic cardboard discs manufactured in the Sputh mill near Sebnitz fast became generally accepted in opposite to the former used felt discs.
The video telegraph resulted crucially from August Karolus, professor for applied physics at the university in Leipzig. In co-operation with the enterprises Siemens and Telefunken in 1927 the first picture transmission service Berlin-Vienna became possible.
The iron bridge over the Elbe river in Dresden was named
blue wonder because of the unique construction
and the blue painting. The bridge without pillar in water was first of this
kind (finished in 1893). A span of the bridge is 141,5 m and the overall length 270,3 m.
The bridge construction has a weight of 3,500 tons.
The building was sketched by Claus Koepcke (1831-1911).
The Melitta-filter bag
is an invention of the Dresden housewife Melitta Bentz
It was patented in 1908. She felt disturbed by the fact that the last sip from the cup
always contained more coffee powder than coffee.
She perforated the bottom of a brass pot and put her son's school blotting paper on it. The coffee filter was invented. Together with her man Hugo she founded the company Bentz for the production of the novelty. Now the filter paper method of coffee preparation is used in the hole world. Of course, the filters are made from highly specialized paper.
The first gas street lamp in Europe illuminated in 1811 the Fischer lane of Freiberg. Wilhelm August Lampadius (1772-1842), which taught at the mountain academy, was occupied with fuel refining. The first gasworks on the European continent ensured the lighting in the Amalgierwerk Halsbruecke near Freiberg.
The brick bridge over the Goeltzsch river
is the largest clay brick bridge of the world.
Height of 78 m, length 574 m, used bricks: approx. 26 million.
The bridge was built form 1846 to 1851 by the Saxon - Bavarian railway enterprises in the course of the railroad line Leipzig - Nuremberg. It was designed by Johann Andreas Schubert.
The 35mm camera "Contax" was the first 35mm camera 24mm x 36mm for perforated film, which was brought on the market by the Dresden company Zeiss Ikon in 1932. After war in 1949 followed the "Contax S" with inserted reversal prism and sidecorrect viewfinder. The "Kine Exakta" from the Ihagee Kamerawerk in Dresden was 1936 the first one-eye small picture mirror reflex camera of the world. With this camera exposure times between 0,001 s and 12 s were possible.
In the year 1993 was manufactured the world-wide first cfc-free refrigerator Foron KT 1370 RZ. It is a development of the company Foron domestic appliances in Scharfenstein, a small industrial place in Saxony. Idea and pre-working come from Greenpeace. For this cfc-free refrigerator, FORON received the German environmental award 1993.
The 1st German locomotive "Saxonia" was designed by Johann Andreas Schubert. He participated on 8 April 1839 in the opening travel of the Leipzig-Dresden railway, the first long distance course of Germany.
The mechanical loom was invented by Louis Ferdinand Schoenherr. His engineering works in Chemnitz already 1887 produced 30,000 looms, an important part of it for export.
Artificial mineral water is the scientifically accurate reproduction of natural mineral water by the doctor of the medicine, Friedrich Adolph Struve. In 1821 in Dresden was developed the first of a set of Struve institutes for drinking cures.
The ODOL-mouthwash went 1892 into production in the Dresden chemical laboratory Lingner, the later Lingner Werke AG. Karl August Lingner was a promoter of the people hygiene; he initiated the 1st International Hygiene Exhibition 1911 as well as the German Hygiene Museum in Dresden.
The stitchbonding was invented by Heinrich Mauersberger 1949 in Limbach-Oberfrohna. He developed the prototype of a stitchbonding machine of the type Malimo together with textile mechanical engineers. The series production of the appropriate, very productive machine began 1957.
Plauen lace made the name of the city famous in a short time. The net lace, made by an embroidery machine was developed in the saxon city Plauen around 1880 among other things by the merchant Theodor Bickel. 60000 workers embroidered at the beginning of the 20.th Century products in the total value of 137.9 million goldmark. On the world exhibition 1900 in Paris eleven embroidery companies from west saxony were awarded the Grand Prix for the product well-known under the name "Plauen Lace" or "Dentelles de Plauen".
The european porcelain was invented by
Ehrenfried Walther von Tschirnhaus
(1651-1708) and Johann Friedrich Boettger
(1682 bis 1719) in the year 1708.
In 1710 the Saxon Elector and King of Poland Augustus the Strong (1670 bis 1733) founded the first european porcelain factory on the Albrechtsburg in Meissen.
The first daily newspaper of the world appeared on 1 July 1650
The printer and bookseller Timotheus Ritzsch converted his "weekly newspaper" appearing since 1643 four times in the week already two years after the end of the Thirty Years War into a daily paper. The "coming in news" appeared six times in the week starting from 1650. Each exemplar consists of four sides in the format of approximately 13.5 x 17 centimeters. The edition amounted to about 200 copies. The "coming in news" were set in metal type characters and printed by hand on a wooden printer.
The first tea bag was sold in 1929 by the company R. Seelig & Hille from Dresden, which also manufactured luggage machines for the production of tea bags.
The oldest Technical university of the world is the University of Mining in Freiberg, created in 1765 by the Saxon general mountain commissioner von Heynitz.
The first drum washing machine of the world was developed in 1902 the enterprise of Louis Krauss in the Saxon city Schwarzenberg.
The tooth paste was invented n 1907 in Dresden by the pharmacist Ottomar Heinsius von Mayenburg. Humans used before tooth powders on chalk basis or rinsed with mouth wash. Under the name Chlorodont the tooth paste attained worldwide fame.